By virtue of Legal Notice LN47/2014, the Government of the Republic of Malta grants, after a rigid and thorough due diligence process, naturalisation by investment to reputable individuals and their dependants who will make a significant contribution to the social and economic development of the country.
The Malta Individual Investor Programme (IIP) is the first citizenship programme in the EU to be recognised by the European Commission and has received over 400 applications since its launch in 2014.
The Malta IIP is the first citizenship programme in the EU to be recognised by the European Commission and has received over 400 applications since its launch in 2014
Amendments to the Public Administration Act have effectively created a legal framework for the funds received through the IIP applications and managed by the National Development and Social Fund Agency as a separate legal entity. As such, the amendments provide that the funds received under Malta’s IIP are to be used and administered as follows:
- Contribute to major projects of national importance;
- Assist in projects and initiatives in the public interest, by promoting and supporting the advancement of education, research, innovation, justice and the rule of law, employment and public health;
- Contribute to the development of better public services;
- Support enterprise and business in improving its competitiveness;
- Promote research and development in matters conducive to the public interest;
- Help stakeholders to deliver social, employment and educational projects;
- Foster initiatives that support reforms and better governance;
- Support measures for the improvement of the fairness and efficiency of justice;
- Foster initiatives encouraging gender equality, prevention of discrimination, and respect for human rights;
- Assist initiatives to provide for the social housing needs of the population and to combat social exclusion;
- Sponsor initiatives for the improvement of health, healthcare and care for the elderly; and
- Undertake initiatives for the benefit of future generations