Malta’s financial services sector has experienced a rapid growth over the last years and has come to be recognised as one of the pillars of the Maltese economy. The industry enjoys a robust legislative frame-work and benefits from an accessible and forward-looking regulator in the Malta Financial Services Authority (the “MFSA”) which has consistently adopted a pragmatic and pro-business approach. Having aligned its legal and regulatory framework with the relative acquis communautaire, Malta is able to apply the corresponding benefits to local (and overseas) businesses in terms of freedom of establishment and to provide cross-border services by passporting into other member-state/s.
This sound regulatory regime coupled with an attractive taxation system has led a number of large hedge funds, investment services operators, retail and captive insurance companies and credit and financial institutions to set up in Malta.
The firm advises and assists financial services operators including:
- Collective Investment Schemes (including Alternative Investment Funds (AIF), non-retail Professional Investor Funds (PIF) promoted to Experienced, Qualifying and/or Extraordinary investors, Private Collective Investment Schemes and UCITS compliant funds);
- Fund Managers and other Investment Services providers;
- Banks & Credit Institutions;
- e-money and Financial Institutions;
- Captive and retail insurance;
- Retirement Funds and Schemes.
We provide sound and comprehensive consultancy in relation to the implementation of tailored structures to suit our clients’ requirements and we provide full guidance and assistance in the preparation of the relative licence application and the compilation of the relevant supporting documentation as well as the coordination of the submission thereof to the MFSA.
The firm also provides specialised advice relating to, inter alia, EU passporting rights, re-domiciliation of funds into and out of Malta, compliance matters, Prevention of Money Laundering and Funding of Terrorism laws and regulations and listing of units on the Malta Stock Exchange.